Skip to content

The Big 5-0 (lbs.)

June 4, 2012

I felt it necessary to clarify the quantity I referenced in the title of this entry, simply because my age has advanced to the point where I’m close enough for people to actually think I’ve turned a half-century old.  Well, my birthday’s still a few months away, and that particular milestone is still a few years away (though fewer than I’d like).

The 50 I’m happily commemorating today is the number of pounds I’ve lost since undertaking a change in eating and exercise habits on March 18.  Whenever someone congratulates me, I’m quick to try and deflect any credit by pointing out that I had so much to lose in the first place.  But, I do realize that no matter how big I was when this started (somewhere between chubby and needing a wrecking ball to take out a wall before leaving home), this is an accomplishment worth celebrating.

That won’t involve a celebratory smorgasbord, of course, but maybe I’ll add an extra drop or two of fat-free ranch to my salad at lunch today…

Advertisements
6 Comments leave one →
  1. September 11, 2012 11:36 am

Thanks, Jeff! Hard to imagine you with anything remotely approaching a gut. I’ve never seen you be anything but rail thin.

• Jeff Koke permalink
      September 11, 2012 11:44 am

Well… the gut only started appearing when I hit 40. Here’s a couple of my “before” pics, taken November 2010:

And here’s my latest “after” pic, taken a couple of days ago:

• September 12, 2012 7:51 am

Even those “before” pics aren’t too bad. Very minor chub.

• Jeff Koke permalink
          September 12, 2012 8:18 am

You’re right Bob. I also didn’t realize how old this post was — it was on my Google+ feed and I don’t check that too often… I see from recent posts that you’re approaching 100 lbs. lost. Huge achievement. Congrats again.

• September 12, 2012 8:25 am

Thanks, Jeff! Of course, I had a LOT to lose (started at 362, now “down” to 280). Was 185 back in the old SMHS days, though closest I’m likely to ever get to that would be 250. My original goal was 275, but now I’m going to try and get down to 250.

2. Jeff Koke permalink
    September 11, 2012 11:33 am

Bob,
    Great accomplishment. I changed my lifestyle nearly two years ago. Lost 40 lbs and have stayed within 5 pounds of my goal weight ever since. I wasn’t ever super heavy, but I did have quite the gut started. Stay motivated. It’s completely been worth it for me.